Transylvania, Book Publishing in a Niche Market, Money and Writing

Publishing is easy.  If you have written a book, and sent it off to literary agents and edited it, the process of publishing is possibly the easiest part of getting your book out to the world -- even if it is directed at a niche market of interest such as a country or a place like Transylvania, Romania.  It is out of your hands to determine what time frame a publisher will have your ready for your readers to purchase -- and when it comes to writing about Transylvania, there are readers who know about it, and will buy it.

But still it is success – you have published that book, and it is a niche market book which makes it all the more wonderful.




It's exciting, and you will make money with that book right?

You wrote it, and you should be seeing some sort of earnings for your book, and you should be happy about what you have done. You have accomplished something many want to do.


But will you call this a success? In my case Transylvania and a book means I have to write more, so is that a success?

In some ways I would call it a success, and I would be happy I have sold many copies, but I also don't see simply publishing a book as a success anymore.  My goals have changed, and now that I know I can publish something that sells.  In Search of the Lost Ones has done that, and I also know that another book and its sales will increase my total earnings.



Making money is another way I can measure my success.  Some of my writing friends will argue that I am thinking purely of profits, where I can sit down and write for a living and continue to publish, more books about Transylvania, and about the land which you can travel to.  That is the reason I look at it as one among many means to measure success.  I believe that money shouldn't matter when you write, or you will focus on that too much, but money matters when you are setting your goals for success, or when a part of you wants to travel to see and touch the places you write about one more time.



It is because I have done this process once before that I know what doesn't work, and I can try another method to see if that works.  The more books I publish about Transylvania the more likely people will know about this wonderful land, and not just about Bran Castle or Dracula.  Making money with my writing is one way I can measure how well the three pieces fit together, and how much I need to write to show how wonderful this land is.


Comments